Thursday, February 17, 2011

Rehab Kneeded

Between work and travel it has been a challenge to keep on the bike and maintain any semblance of fitness. I had gotten into good form over the summer, but a new job that has taken me out of town really threw a monkey wrench in my training plan. After finally getting my CompuTrainer set up in New Orleans, with all the latest software up and running, I hit the bike hard for a couple of weeks. It felt good to be training again.

Unfortunately, one weekend I hit it a little too hard, and managed to wind up with a knee injury (a torn meniscus). After two weeks of exams I went in for surgery on Friday Feb. 11th. It's been almost a week, and I'm walking around with minimal pain, but my range of motion is still very limited. My physical therapist said that I should regain enough range of motion to pedal by the middle of next week.

For me, the lesson goes back to that of the value of a coach. My intent was to get back into some reasonable shape on my own, and then get Rich Wharton to start me back on a training plan. Frankly, I was embarrassed at my lack of fitness! That was backwards thinking though. Had I started with Rich, I'm sure he would have taken my "come back" at a more gradual pace, and I would have avoided injury.

But, as they say, it is what it is. I'm certainly a month away from being able to ride in any serious manner, but at least the weather will be good and my CompuTrainer will be working. Rich--I'll be calling you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment