Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Red Light Green Light

I'm gonna step up on my soapbox for a second...

I know this is probably a sensitive topic, but one that I have given some thought to and feel strongly about. As cyclists on the road together, people form opinions about us based on the few seconds that they come in contact with us on the road. When we blow through red lights and stop signs, drivers look at us and assume we have no regard for the rules of the road and lose respect for cyclists in general. That is why I stop for red lights and wait until they are green to continue (usually pushing a "walk" button takes care of stubborn lights that don't sense bikes). I slow for all stop signs to check for cross traffic, and stop completely if another car is in the intersection. It is a small inconvenience, but so is stopping in my car. Why should stopping on my bike be different?

I've had police ask me why cyclists have no regard for the laws of the road. They are loosing patience with "cyclists" and don't want to ticket us, but think they may need to as complaints from motorists mount. I even had a police officer hand me copy of the California code that applies to cyclists. If we want motorists to treat us with respect, we have to do the same. In my mind that means reasonably obeying the laws of the road, and not assuming that because we are on a bike we are exempt. It doesn't take that much effort, and I think the message it sends is worth the trouble.

Stepping down now.

Ken

2 comments:

  1. I don't like to admit it, but you are probably right on this topic. We should follow the laws, so that we don't give cyclists a bad reputation. Drivers, mostly non-cyclists, get really, really mad at cyclists sometimes, threatening lives in most online threads.

    However, everyone should take note that a cyclist is much less likely than a driver in a car to injure or kill someone by running a stop sign or a red light.

    As for me, I always slow down and look both ways. I stop completely at lights or signs if I think the crossing may be dangerous. It's not a race.... usually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you pull out the soapbox, then still admit to running stop signs?

    Why is your arbitrary definition of acceptable (and illegal) behavior better than someone else's?

    ReplyDelete